Water Flea


About 5 percent of all flea species occur on birds, while the remaining 95 percent parasitize mammals (dogs, cats, you). They usually do not parasitize amphibians and reptiles. Fleas parasitize hosts in just about all habitats where their hosts live and are found not only on their bodies but also in their burrows and nests.

Fleas are wingless insects that suck blood for food; preferring to feed off your pet cat or dog, only hopping onto you when their desired host is unavailable. Fleas bite to accomplish their blood sucking task. The symptoms from a flea bite often occur within hours of a nibble, and may swell up, start to itch, or even break out in a rash. While these alone aren�t that serious, fleas have been known to carry diseases.